Saturday, April 11, 2009

Old McClement had a farm E-I-E-I-O

Anita and I decided to improve our gardening skills and grow more and better vegetables, so this Saturday we made a raised garden box and a (LINK) chicken tractor. Yes I said chicken tractor. A chicken tractor is a small portable chicken coop that you can use to house 4 or 5 hens and move around to fertilize the garden box and the rest of the yard. The tractor is the same size as the garden box, so the tractor can be set on the garden box. We sat the chicken tractor on our raised garden box to see how it fit. Looks ok to me, just don't put a level or a square on it. The chickens eat all the bugs and fertilize the ground. It's all done except putting on the chicken wire and going to get the chickens. We are going to get 4 or 5 hens and become chicken farmers and hopefully get fresh organic eggs. We are going to name our layers names like K.F.C, Lemon Chick Chick, Pepe's Pollo, Pot Pie, just to give them incentive to lay eggs. Let me tell you something, that 3 x 8 box sure took a lot of dirt. Enjoy the pictures, cause we sure had a good time working together most of the day. I sure love my wife and consider myself a very lucky man.

3 comments:

David and Amanda said...

Hey at least if the chicken don't work out there's always...pot pie!!

Jill said...

Looks like I started a trend!

Shaun and Aimee said...

You are one crazy Papa! Good for you on the gardening...too bad for your neighbors with the chickens. haha Can hens become fryers if they become too much trouble?